Fulwell: A giant and a windmill
Fulwell is an Anglo-Saxon name that means the ‘foul spring’ and historically belonged to the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral. In 1759 a skeleton was discovered in a limestone quarry at Fulwell that measured 9 feet 6 inches tall. Roman coins were found near his hand and it was assumed that he was either a Roman or lived here in Roman times.
Later, in 1820, a small statue dedicated to a Roman god was found in a nearby quarry at Carley Hill. The small statue known as a Lar was a kind often used to protect a house, a shrine at a crossroads or even a Roman family as they sat to dinner.
There was a strong gust of wind and the rope that held him secure, snapped. Wren clung to one of the remaining sails which carried him three full turns before flinging him to his death over the roof of a neighbouring house.
Fulwell Mill’s last miller retired in 1949 when the mill was used in manufacturing animal feed. The mill is now maintained by the Friends of Fulwell Mill. Unfortunately, the sails and cap of the mill were damaged during a storm in December 2011 and have been removed. The future of the mill is now uncertain.
Roker and Seaburn: Seaside Sunderland
Seaburn, home to a fabulous beach is the most northerly coastal part of Sunderland and is named from a small stream that enters the sea here. The wonderful sandy beaches of Whitburn Bay stretch from Seaburn to Roker – two places which became ever more popular in the age of railways and trams that made them accessible to people travelling from further afield.
Railway companies printed posters and guide books promoting the delights of the Seaburn and Roker resorts with illustrations of pretty girls in bathing costumes to emphasise their delights. The meaning of the name ‘Roker’ is uncertain but may refer to coastal rocks of some kind.
Roker’s beautiful church of St Andrew dating from 1907 is known as the ‘Cathedral of the Arts and Crafts Movement’ because of the work it contains within by the artists William Morris and Edward Burne-Jones who belonged to that particular art movement.
Southwick and Witherwack
Southwick is the most central of Sundeland northern, river settlements with Castletown and Hylton to the west and Monkwearmouth to the east. The Anglo-Saxon name Southwick means ‘the southern farm or trading place’ and was a name given to two places called High Southwick and Low Southwick. High Southwick was probably older and developed around a village green. It may have been connected with the old monastic lands of Monkwearmouth and Jarrow.
The church of Holy Trinity in Southwick’s Church Bank, was formerly the Rectory of Southwick and was once the home of the Reverend Charles Collingwood who married Mary, the sister of Lewis Carroll. Lewis Carroll knew the Sunderland area well being a frequent visitor to Whitburn where there are strong Alice connections. Carroll would have visited his sister here at Southwick and a blue plaque commemorates the conenction.
The rectory is thought to have been the home to a stuffed walrus which is said to have inspired Carroll (who grew up at Croft near Darlington) to write The Walrus and the Carpenterin Alice Through the Looking Glass. A stuffed walrus in the Sunderland Museum is often connected with the poem but this arrived after Carroll had written his memorable piece.
Witherwack to the north of Southwick has a rather peculiar name that could derive from a Norse word ‘wither”woodland’. The second part of the name was probably originally ‘wick’ a farm or trading place north of Southwick.
Today the two sides of the River Wear at Sunderland are linked by bridges but up until the eighteenth century Sunderland was only linked to Hylton and Monkwearmouth on the north side of the Wear by means of a ferry, One ferry operated from a site where the Wearmouth Bridge now stands while another major ferry crossed the river to the west at Hylton.
Hylton Castle, one of Sunderland’s most historic buildings stood guard over this ferry crossing of the Wear. A ferry operated here from at least 1322 and the castle was built by one William De Hylton around 1400.
Hylton Castle is most famous for its ghost called the ‘Cauld Lad o’ Hylton’. This ghost is said to be the spirit of a stable boy who was slain by a baron of Hylton in the sixteenth century. The unfortunate young man had been caught napping by the temperamental lord, who in a fit of rage brutally struck the boy with a pitch fork killing him instantly.
The ghost who may or may not carry his head under his arm, was occasionally seen and often heard by the domestic servants of Hylton Castle.
Like all good poltergeists the Cauld Lad’s favourite pastime was throwing dishes, plates and pewter, but this only happened if the Hylton kitchen was left in a tidy state. Curiously if the servants left the kitchen untidy, the Cauld Lad would tidy it up. Naturally the servants took advantage and always left the kitchen untidy.
The pranks of the `Cauld Lad’ were finally ended by presenting him with a green cloak and hood which were laid before the kitchen fire. The Hylton servants sat up watching until midnight when the ghost finally appeared. He happily took the garments and then suddenly disappeared with the last words:
“Here’s a cloak and here’s a hood,
The Cauld Lad o’ Hylton will do no more good”
Though Hylton was occupied until the early twentieth century, what remains of the castle today, is an impressive but empty shell hidden in these north western suburbs of Sunderland.
The Hylton Family
One particularly notable feature of the castle are the stone carved coats of arms of various local families, which can be seen on its walls. They include the shields of the Hyltons, Lumleys, Percys, Greys Eures and the Washingtons. The Washington coat of arms consists of two bars and three stars and is believed to have been adapted by George Washington for the `stars and stripes’ flag of the United States.
Just north of Hylton castle was a medieval village called Hylton (the hill settlement) which had disappeared by the 1750s. One of many lost medieval villages in England, its site has been obliterated by later quarrying and is now occupied by a care home in the Downhill area. The Hylton family were named from this village. Close by Castletown takes its name from its proximity to Hylton Castle while the Town End Farm area is named from the site of a farm that was just within the rural medieval ‘township’ of Hylton.
The Hylton (or Hilton) family who built Hylton Castle were Norman barons who took their name from Hylton village after settling here around 1072. The first Hylton family member was Henry De Hylton (Henry of Hylton) who built a home here that later became the site of the castle.
In medieval times the Hyltons were the most powerful family in the Sunderland area. They were quite a colourful family too. Three members were killed in the Crusades during Richard I’s reign, two were MPs for the whole of Durham during the 13th and 14th century. Another family member, Sir Thomas Hilton rebelled against Henry VIII in 1534 but survived to become Governor of Tynemouth Castle. He thus commanded castles on both the Tyne and the Wear.
Over the centuries many prominent members of this family lost their lives in battles including Agincourt (1415), Bosworth Field (1485) and Flodden (1513). The last male heir of the Hylton / Hilton family died in 1739 and the castle was sold to Richard Musgrave who promptly changed his name to Hilton and spoiled it all by selling the castle, ending forever the castle’s connection with the illustrious family name.