Newcastle Streets M to W
MOSLEY STREET : LET THERE BE LIGHT
Near Newcastle cathedral. Built by David Stephenson in 1784 and named from Edward Mosley a Newcastle alderman who encouraged improvements in the town. It was the first street in the world lit by the incandescent light bulb, invented by Newcastle resident Joseph Swan.
NEVILLE STREET : POWERFUL PEOPLE
Nineteenth century street near the Central Station, recalls the name of the powerful Neville family who were Earls of Westmorland. Their townhouse called Westmorland Place stood here in medieval times. It was just within the town walls close to the point where Neville Street now joins Westgate Road. West of Central Station Neville Street becomes Westmorland Road.
Newcastle Central Station was designed by John Dobson and completed between 1847 and 1851 and opened by Queen Victoria on August 29, 1850. The impressive arched entranceway or port cochère was built by railway architect Thomas Prosser in the 1860s.
NEWGATE STREET : THE OLD JAIL
Along with Westgate, Pilgrim Street and the adjoining Bigg Market Newgate Street was one of the principal thoroughfares of medieval Newcastle. It was named from a gate in the town wall. Outside the wall the street split into the streets of Gallowgate and Sidegate (Percy Street). A New Gate was first mentioned in the fourteenth century. It has been suggested it was named 'New' because it replaced an earlier gate.
For centuries the gate served as Newcastle's jail, so that both London and Newcastle were home to a Newgate Jail. By 1820 the New Gate was in disrepair. The felons were moved to a new prison at Carliol Croft and the debtors to a prison in the castle keep. The demolition of Newgate Prison began in 1823. The New Gate and prison stood north of St Andrew's Church where Newgate Street now joins Blackett Street and Gallowgate. Newgate Street's modern entertainment complex called, The Gate, is really closer to the minor gate in the town wall, once used by the Black Friars.
NORTHUMBERLAND STREET : SHOPS GALORE
Northumberland Street was described as 'quiet and unpretentious' in 1882. It began as the continuation of Pilgrim Street, beyond the town wall and was the main route into Northumberland. Buildings developed here from Elizabethan times when peace with Scotland enabled the construction of homes beyond the town walls. By the eighteenth century this was a Newcastle suburb. When the Tyne Bridge opened in 1928 it lined up with Pilgrim Street and secured Northumberland Street's place as Newcastle's principal commercial street, a role originally intended for Grey Street.
PERCY STREET : EARLS AND DUKES
Percy Street is named from the Percys, Earls and Dukes of Northumberland. It was called Sidgate or Sidegate in earlier times. Sidegate was effectively Newgate Street beyond the town wall and provided an alternative exit to the Pilgrim Gate. It was possibly regarded as the new, sideway, out of town.
Sidegate formed an almost separate settlement sometimes referred to as the 'suburb of Newgate' and had its own haymarket. The suburb suffered severe damage during the civil war of the 1600s. In the 1880s Percy Street and Haymarket were described as having an old-fashioned look. At the time they resembled the High Street of a country town with old cottages interspersed here and there amongst modern houses.
PILGRIM STREET : VICUS PEROGRONIUM
Pilgrim Street was historically Newcastle's principal medieval route. In Gray's Chorographia of 1649 it was 'the longest and fairest street in the town', thronging with medieval pilgrim's inns and later coaching inns.
Sadly, little can be seen of such antiquity in Pilgrim Street other than Alderman Fenwick's House at 98-100 Pilgrim Street. This impressive brick building of the late 1600s, near Swan House roundabout is Newcastle's most complete historic house. Pilgrim Street's name is said to derive from pilgrims visiting the chapel of St Mary in Jesmond, where miracles supposedly occurred in medieval times.
Pilgrim Street was called Vicus Peregronium before 1230 and was historically part of the Great North Road. It was thus part of the route between the major medieval pilgrimage centres of Durham and Lindisfarne.
The Pilgrim Gate on the medieval town wall stood at the northern end of the street beyond which the Great North Road became the Northumberland Street of today. The Pilgrim Gate was described as 'remarkably strong, clumsy and gloomy' but served an important part in defending Newcastle from Scottish invasion.
Once the border troubles were over its low arch was considered an obstruction to traffic and was said to interfere with the circulation of air in the town. It was demolished in 1802.
PUDDING CHARE : BLACK PUDDINGS
Links the Bigg Market to Westgate Road and is said to be named from the valley of a stream called the pow dene or from the sale of black puddings.
SANDGATE AND MILK MARKET
Sandgate (see the Quayside) was named from a gate in the town walls. This was historically the home to the keelmen. Joining Sandgate and the Quayside just up bank from the Millennium Bridge is Milk Market where milk was once traded. By the nineteenth century it was the home to a fair for old clothes (Paddy's Market) and a butchers' market. Stall holders set up their wares on the remnants of the town wall on the western side of the street but this has long since gone.
Off Northumberland Street is named from Colonel Sir George Saville, a commander of the West Yorkshire Militia. During the American War of Independence he lived near Percy Street.
SCOTSWOOD ROAD : GANNIN' ALANG
The road into Scotswood. In 1368 the King allowed a Richard Scott of Newcastle to enclose a wood here - hence the name. Made famous through the Tyneside anthem The Blaydon Races and as the historic home of William Armstrong's famous factory.
Named from the famous playwright. It runs along the south side of Newcastle's Theatre Royal off Grey Street.
Simply called, Side rather than the Side. It is one of Newcastle's medieval streets noted for its shops for 'merchants drapers and other traders', in 1649. This steeply descending street was once the western bank of the Lort Burn that entered the Tyne nearby. Until 1807 it was the site of the Cale Cross where cabbage was traded.
Named from a broad opening to the river on the Quayside, named from a small stream, river or inlet called 'the Swirle'. It marked the eastern jurisdiction of the liberties of Newcastle from 1299.
STOWELL STREET : ELDON'S BROTHER
Named from the Tyneside-born Judge William Scott, the first Baron Stowell (1745-1836). He was the older brother of the Lord Chancellor, John Scott, Lord Eldon, from whom Eldon Square is named. Stowell Street has some of the best remaining sections of Newastle's medieval wall close by but the street is best-known as the home to the city's Chinatown. The street is entered by a Chinese arch close to the Tyneside Irish Centre, a reminder that Newcastle is a home to may different kinds of cultural communities.
TIMES SQUARE : ALL ABOUT LIFE
This modern square is the home to the Centre for Life which was opened by the Queen in 2000. It examines aspects of human life and humanity. One fascinating feature is 'the Dome' with its 360 degree domed projection ceiling. The centre also houses an Institute of Human Genetics and the Newcastle Fertility Centre which researches and pioneers fertility treatments.
Named from the Reverend James Worswick. He founded a Roman Catholic chapel that once stood in adjoining Pilgrim Street from 1798.
WESTGATE ROAD : ALONG THE ROMAN WALL
Takes its name from the west gate in Newcastle's medieval town walls. The road more or less follows the course of the earlier Hadrian's Wall. The Assembly Rooms near Westgate Road, were built by William Newton in 1776 and are one of Newcastle's grandest Georgian buildings. The Journal Tyne Theatre in Westgate Road opposite Bath Lane was built in 1867 as the Tyne Theatre and Opera House and became a cinema known as the Stoll Picture House in 1919 and then a theatre again in 1971
The impressive Literary and Philosophical Society in Westgate Road dates from 1825. Founded in 1793, members over the years have included wood engraver Thomas Bewick, industrialists Robert Stephenson, William Armstrong and Joseph Swan, writer Sid Chaplin, architect John Dobson and Prime Minister Charles Earl Grey.
Search England's North East